Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Story: Aswathama the Elephant

           
(Aswathama the Elephant. Found on Pixabay.)

The forest is loud. Too loud. There had been something going on for days causing such a clamor that my head has yet to stop pounding. There must be something going on with the humans. If it ever gets loud in the forest, it’s usually them. I don’t understand why they have to come disturb our peace whenever there’s an issue. They truly don’t have any regard for us animals; it’s astonishing. I could kill them with one blow, yet they think they are the kings of the land, the ultimate predator. Wielding a bow does not make you a predator. Just has weighing a ton does not make me a predator. I could be mightier, I could be stronger, I could kill them all… but see, I don’t really like confrontation, and so I never put myself in the position to get involved. I try to live my own, humble life, and let them live theirs, as obnoxious as their lifestyle may be.

Anyway, this headache seriously won’t go away. The clashing of metal on metal is truly more irritating to the senses than one would think. And us elephants are a little more prone to sound irritation. You know, big ears and all. So I left early this morning in hopes to find a new stream to get some fresh water. The lake I’ve been going to lately is getting a little boring. The water tastes too stale and I keep running into the girl I like. She’s been going to my lake for a while now but every time I get the nerve to approach her, the sound of fighting men come crashing through the trees and she gets scared and runs off. Today I’m too grumpy to be talked to anyway so I might as well avoid my lake altogether.

I clumsily clunked my way through the leaves and tall trees. I heard the trickle of a creek up the way and decided to follow the soothing sound. I was so determined to find that fresh water, I chose to ignore the whispers I heard behind me. I thought I kept hearing my name, “Aswathama, Aswathama, Aswatham.” How did they know my name? This headache must have been making me crazy, there’s no other way a human tongue would know to speak an elephants name. I guess I should have paid them more attention, but the creek sounded so beautiful, and just listening to it soothed my pain. Then all of a sudden, a human jumped out in front of me. I slid back trying to not squash him with my large front legs. Poor guy. That would be a terrible way to go: death by elephant foot. Oh phew! I didn’t step on him! Wow, I’m glad I was able to stop all the way. Living my life knowing that I killed an innocent human with my front legs…I would never be able to forgive myself. But wait, what is he holding? Wait no, stop, what are you doing? All went black and I faintly heard “Tell them we killed Aswathama.”
___________________

Bibliography: R.K. Narayan, The Mahabharate, Reading Guide D

Author's Note: While Reading the story of Drona's death, I instantly though about the poor elephant sacrificed just to kill Drona.  Yudhistira cared more about preserving his own virtue in not telling a lie, that he killed an innocent animal.  No death was needed, it was a lie either way.   They only killed the elephant to assuage their own guilt in lying. I decided to take the opportunity and tell the elephant's side of the story. I figured it would be something unique and give a new perspective to the story.



6 comments:

  1. I think that this elephant and I share some personality traits... I've certainly been as grumpy as him before! I love how you personified the elephant to narrate the human events as they happened; I found it particularly interesting how the elephant couldn't dream of hurting an "innocent" human when he is annoyed by the very sound of war. It was a really interesting dichotomy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aswathama the elephant's point of view is very cool; I like that you showed him for the docile creature that he was when he is afraid of hurting innocent humans. On the other hand, the humans thoughtlessly sacrificed an innocent elephant.

    When I first heard the story, I was told that Yudhishthira's chariot had hovered slightly above the ground at all times. This is because he was considered the most Dharmic being on Earth and the display was the gods recognizing him as such. However, when he told the technical lie that Aswathama was dead, only whispering that he meant the elephant, it's said that his chariot touched the ground. Just another interesting tidbit, since you mentioned that the poor animal's death came at the hands of Yudhishthira, acting out of self-preservation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story was super cute. I loved how you made the elephant the main character. I didn't ever vision his point of view. I like how there was emphasis on how the elephant could instantly kill the humans, but decided not to. This adds to how sad you could feel for the elephant when he died in the end. I am glad you did not choose a happy ending because it derives from the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I was a little bit miffed at the Pandava brothers' attempt to add "truth" to their plan through a petty trick like that. I think I made similar arguments as a child when I crossed my fingers or promised to pay someone "six doll-hairs". Seriously?
    Your perspective shift was nice. I liked how the politics and moral conflicts of war in the Mahabharata fade to the background when we see it through Aswamatha's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story was so cute. I loved how you had the story in his point of view instead of a human like most of the time. I do not like how he was killed even when he tried to save the human. I also liked the picture you used for this story. It's so beautiful to look at and you start imaging that to be the elephant in the story. That's not realistic but its still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sad! Aswathama sounded like such a cute elephant that just wanted to run away with his lady. Even though he hated the humans and knew he could take them, he still didn't want to cause anyone any harm. I love how you told this story. You gripped the emotional tragedy and made me feel so sorry for that poor elephant. Sometimes we get so caught up in the original story that we forget these little side characters. Thank you for sharing this story! It was really good!

    ReplyDelete