Thursday, September 8, 2016

Story: Sealing His Fate

        He saw her standing there in her yellow silk sari and his eyes flooded with tears.  He quickly blinked, trying to rid himself of the weakness.  He had to stay strong.  This was always part of the plan.  It was his curse and there was no ridding himself of the devil on his back until the episode was complete.  He must deny her; it was time.
         Sati noticed Rama and she began running toward him.  How could he follow through?  Her hair flew behind her in the wind, her sari pressed flat against her beautiful body as she ran to him.  His wife, his beautiful wife…she retained her beauty through her captive stay. She flung herself in his arms and he stood still, pressing his hands to his thighs to make sure his body would not contradict his resolution.  He stood firm.  Sati cried and held on sinking to his feet beyond elated to see her hero; her husband.  Rama looked ahead stoned face, blinking back weakness and recalling his decision years ago.
         Rama was six years old playing in the Gardens with Lakshmana.  They were running around and hiding behind or within anything they could find.  It was an exceptionally hot day and Rama remembers running over to the pond hoping to cup some fresh water in his hands before Lakshmana found him.  As he bent over to dip his fingers in the cool blue water, he noticed a figure standing behind him in the reflection of the pond.  Rama, startled, spun around and nearly fell into the fresh water behind him, but then shortly relaxed afterward as he saw it was just a kind older woman.
         “Hello, child.  May I share the pond with you?  It is very hot and I cannot imagine walking farther,” the woman walks closer.  Rama was not scared, but merely curious, so he stumbled to the side and took water for himself beside her.  As they drank the woman turned and said, “I see great things in your future child.  Your eyes show power and strength, great strength.  You will do miraculous things one day, things the gods themselves cannot do.” 
         Rama’s eyes grew big.  What did she mean?  How does she see my future?  He slowly sputtered out, “What will I do?”
         The woman smiled, “You are a special child; a chosen one.  You have been chosen to act on behalf of the gods and rid the world of evil.  Soon you will receive your mission but just know, you have great things ahead of you.  But there will be death and fire, you will lose…”
         “Lose?  Why would I be called by the gods only to lose?”  Rama now felt this woman was crazy, and began to turn and leave when she quietly said, “Look within yourself, you are a smart child.  Why would the god’s want you to survive if you help them do something they cannot do themselves?  You would then be a threat to them and they could not let you live.”  Rama stopped.  In his heart, he knew she was telling the truth.  He felt a pull deep within to believe her and listen to her. He turned, “And how shall I win?  Am I destined for greatness only to lose my life?” 
         The woman smiled, “Dear child, I said you would lose, but that does not have to mean losing your life.  There is another option.”
         Rama leaned in, “Yes! What is the other option?”
         “You must lose your first love in order to win the gods’ favor and save your life.  The fire god, Agni, survives by people’s sacrifice.  If your first love does not give herself to Agni, Agni will come for you.   If you try to get in the way, not only will your first love die, but what you accomplished will fall apart and you must fight the evil for the rest of your life, never fulfilling your destiny.”
         Rama laughed, “Well of course I will give Agni my first love! I will do as you say if you promise I will defeat evil and save my life.” Rama thought to himself, foolish woman, I do not know any girls but my sister, how will I ever find time for love with such a calling from the gods?

         “Of course dear boy.  From now on, your decision is binding and you will be victorious.”  Then the woman’s sweet smile turned and twisted.  Rama’s peace turned to fear as the woman burst into flames and disappeared.  Agni.  Rama just made a deal with the god of fire herself.   
(Agni, the fire god. Found on Wikipedia.)   
***
To Be Continued...
Author's Note: 
I was moved by the final story of Rama denying Sita.  I wanted to give a voice to Rama because when I read the story I felt angry towards him.  How could he deny this woman just because she was captured.  It was not her choice.  There must be a reason behind his coldness.  So I decided to give him a reason and change up the story a bit.  I realized it would turn into a longer story so I decided to only do half and give insight to Rama's "deal with the devil" (or more like "deal with the fire god") today and then return to the ending of the episode on another day.

Bibliography:
Narayan's Ramayana, Reading Guide D.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you agree with me about Rama's actions! They don't make any sense to me at all, and I really like your take on it. I think it fits with his character a lot for him to deny Sita and let her prove herself out of a sense of duty. I am very excited for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you gave a little more depth to this part of the story. I thought the same thing when I was reading the original. How could he go through all of this to get her back just to reject her? However, making it a 'deal with the devil' made it a little more believable. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi McKenzie! I absolutely love your writing style; you definitely painted a frightening picture at the end of the story where the woman vanishes in a burst of flames. This is a particularly interesting take on Rama's actions because I had such a hard time justifying them in my mind. Even after hearing the story since I was a little girl, it never quite made sense to me. It was super interesting that you went for a "deal with the devil" kind of premise, and the way you wrote it gave the impression that Rama's childish innocence was taken advantage of, much like the way that Sita's innocent infatuation with the golden deer set off the chain of events that drove the main plot of the Ramayana.

    I wonder how this event could be taken in the context of the larger Divine plan; for example, the story of Vali in Narayan's Ramayana makes a seemingly uncharacteristic action of Rama's part of a much larger history. Even as a child, we see that Rama was not prone to act rashly and so in making this kind of promise, just the same way as he accepted the offer of kinship too quickly, is this another event that must occur?

    ReplyDelete