Sunday, November 20, 2016

Reading Notes: Ganesha

A great friend of mine has a sanskrit tattoo on wisdom.  He told me that it was referring to the Hindu god of Wisdom, Ganesha.  He wanted to get another tattoo of the sanskrit symbol for "Om" mixed in with the image of Ganesha and asked me to design the tattoo.  I was honored.  This is the sketch I drew up.

At the time, I only knew what he had told me about Ganesha but nothing more.  So this week, I decided to learn more about Ganesha.  After completing my story book and learning all about his mother, Parvati, I figured I should learn a little about him.

  • Parvati wants to bathe in peace but none of the Ganas listen to her because they all follow Shiva first.  
  • She creates a boy, Ganesha, who keeps Shiva from his own home and lashes at him when he tries to go inside anyway.
  • Ganesha remains extremely loyal to his mother while facing great danger
  • Ganesha goes to far and many people want to kill him
  • Ganesha is finally defeated(head cut off)
  • They fit the head of an elephant on the boy and return him to Parvati to appease her.  

Bibliography:
Ganesha, Amar Chitra Katha, Reading Guide.

Image:
Hindu God Traditional Line Art.  Found on Pizabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment