Sunday, November 20, 2016

Reading Notes: An Old Couple

Okay this is the strangest story I've ever read.  Titled "The Old Couple" I thought it would be a sweet story about long lasting love.  I guess it was in a sense... It was about a king who walked past a house in the village with an old couple nearly on the brink of death, making love in a "furious" way.  He then makes them go to court because he was grossed out by it.  At court the old couple mixed ashes with spices and said as long as one shall live, the desire for sex will still remain.  Then the King gave the couple gifts and they left.  I struggle to see the moral of the story.  It was very strange and I don't think I'll be able to use this one for a story.  Maybe not though, you never know!


Bibliography:
A Flowering Tree and Other Oral Tales From India, Ch 46. An Old Couple  

Image Information:
The image is from the collections of the State Library of NSW. Found on Wikipedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment