Friday, August 26, 2016

Reading Options and Feeding My Curiosity

I am excited to start reading Narayan’s Ramayana. Although it is a little more difficult to obtain, I appreciate how it is all one style instead of mix-matched authors. I enjoy that it is written like a novel.

This class may be the one that I am most looking forward to this semester. My focus for my International Studies Major is South Asia, and India specifically. I have always been intrigued by the culture and I am glad that I will finally be able to learn more about the written and story telling cultural aspects of the country.

The last time I took a course similar to epic literature was in high school. I took a class on Greek Mythology and also had a class called Humanities, which focused on literature like the Iliad and famous philosophers throughout history.
 
I have taken a class on religion here at the University of Oklahoma and found it very fascinating. It was called Religion in Everyday Life and I explored many different religions across the world. There was a small section on Hinduism but it did not go as in depth as I would have liked. I also took a class called Iran and Islam where I was able to go in depth on the topic of Islam and it’s origins.

As I mentioned before, India is my passion. I have tried to take as many classes as possible on the country and have learned quite a bit since starting here two years ago. I have watched many Indian films and listen to Indian music quite regularly. I took a class called Women and Gender in India and through that class I watched many films portraying and discussing women’s roles and experiences in the country.   

I have never been to India but I have promised myself that I will go before I die because my life will not be complete otherwise. As of right now, the plan is to study abroad for a semester next year. If the opportunity presented itself, it would be life changing. As for now, I am just going to prepare as much as possible and that is why I’m taking the course. I want to know the cultural innuendo and know the stories so that when I do go, I won’t feel as lost. I have taken many courses on the political side of the region but not as many about the culture so this course will round out my studies to make my understanding of the region more complete.

(Image information: Image from my favorite movie Umrao Jaan.  Found on flkr.)



No comments:

Post a Comment