Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Story: Parvati Counseling Service Transcript

(Sivitri and Satyaban walking into Parvati's office completely enamored with one another. Found on Wikipedia Commons.)

Parvati: Oh hello! I am so excited to meet you two! I read both of your New Client Forms and I am just amazed.  I don't think I have ever read such beautiful words to describe one's love.  I was surprised to see you needed my help at all.  It seems as though your love and devotion is already well developed.  But it just shows how committed you both are that even in love you seek to improve and prepare for marriage!

Sivitri: Oh Goddess Parvati thank you...

Parvati: Dear, don't worry about formalities here, you can just call me Parvati.

*Sivitri blushes*

Sivitri: Parvati, thank you for accepting us for your service.  You have no idea how much I look up to you.  Your love for Shiva felt like a fairy tail, a mere story that my father would tell me before I fell asleep to fill my mind with sweet dream.  It wasn't until I met Satyaban that I realized, your love for Shiva was real and possible, because I feel that love for him.

*Sivitri looks over at Satyaban and their souls dance between their romantic gaze* 

Satyaban: Parvati, it is an honor, truly.  We are not worthy to be in your presence.

Parvati: Oh you two are just a delight! I have been looking forward to this session all day.  Please come; take a seat.
So, I read over your forms but you were a little vague about what specifically you want counseling on before marriage.  Like I said, I don't really see any pre consisting issues through your forms and your obvious connection is contagious and feels like it's filling the room with your love's scent.

*Sivitri instantly turns pale and her eyes begin to water.  Instinctively, Satyaban wraps his arm around his fiancĂ©.  Sivitri tries to speak but her voice cannot be found.*

Satyaban:Well, it took us quite a while to be able to get engaged.  Our love story is actually a bit unconventional.  We fell in love the moment we laid eyes on each other.  I know that is a cliche term but it is the only way we can explain our experience.  When my eyes first met the eyes of my fragrant little jasmine flower, there was a feeling inside like a magnet pulling me towards her, across the stream.  I felt my soul deep within, break through me and connect with hers somewhere between us.  I knew that no matter where life took me, we would be together.  From that moment on our souls belonged to each other.

Sivitri: But you see, at the time Satyaban was caring for his blind father who had just been let go from his job for his sudden loss of sight.  My father was worried about what kind of future that would leave me.  I must admit, I grew up in a wealthy household, having nothing to worry about or want, so my father was concerned for the shock I would face if he gave Satyaban his permission for my hand in marriage.  It was so difficult, knowing that I would be no one without Satyaban but facing the reality that my father might not let me marry him.  


Satyaban: Knowing that her father would fear this, I sent our family friend to talk to him.  He explained to Sivitri's father that my family comes from great wealth, "Old Money" so to speak.  I have an incredibly large trust fund that would not only be able to support Sivitri but many of our generations to follow.  I just do not live a wealthy lifestyle as I am completely focused on the health of my father.

Sivitri: So you see, now we are engaged and incredibly happy to start our life together.  But something has come up and truly, we believe you are the only one to help us.  This is something I am worried love cannot withstand.

Parvati: Sweet girl, what is it?

*Sivitri tears up again and Satyaban pulls her closer*

Satyaban: I...We found out...I was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. And I am not expected to make it to our first anniversary.

*Tears start slipping from Sivitri's eyes*

*Parvati slowly sits back in her seat*

Parvati: Oh, I see.  It all makes sense to me now.  Dear souls, I cannot imagine the agony this must be putting you through. Oh, and you have not even said your vows to one another.  To have so much grief before your marriage has even begun is tragic.  I apologize for the insensitivity this question might bring, but you two are still planning to wed, I assume?

Sivitri and Satyaban: Yes, absolutely!

Sivitri: A year with Saty is worth a lifetime with someone else.  I vow here, now, and for eternity that I will be with Saty or I will be with no one.

*Parvati smiles from ear to ear*

Parvati: Then it is settled.  

*Sivitri and Satyaban look at each other, confused*

Satyaban: I'm sorry?

Parvati: Your dedication and love is something I have never encountered before.  I must say, it may even be stronger than what I experienced with my dear Shiva at the beginning.  A love like yours can withstand any trial, even death.  Marry.  Enjoy every minute of this year together.  Make every minute count and if you do this, your love and union will last longer than a year.

*Satyaban and Sivitri still remained a bit confused but they knew Parvati must have been speaking in some sort of riddle or metaphor.  They thanked her and began to walk out the door: Satyaban first then Sivitri following.*

*Parvati reached out for Sivitri and held her back while Satyaban went to grab the car*

Parvati: Sivitri, I must tell you something I saw during your session.  But you must listen carefully and keep this private.  You will know the time that Satyban will pass.  You will know it as sure as you knew you loved him.  But, Satyban will not know and he must not know.  You will meet his death face to face.  The doctors will swear to you there is nothing that can be done, but you must not give up. Your love will survive.  Your love can conquer death.  But even as death arrives, you must believe that your love can conquer it. Promise me you will believe.

Sivitri: Oh I promise. My love for him will never die.

Parvati: Then he will never die.
______________________________________________
Authors Note:
I was completely moved by this story of Sivitri and Satyaban.  I read their story in the book, the Nine Ideal Indian Women, and talk about ideal.  I go through most of the story line in the transcript above and I hint at the ending.  Satyaban is fated to die in a year and through much convincing to her father, Sivitri marries him anyway because they are utterly in love.  On the day of Satyaban's death, Sivitri knows it is about to happen but Satyaban has no clue.  Sivitri stays with him after he dies until the God of Death, Yom, arrives to take his body.  She follows Yom, pleading with him until he was about to pass into the "Land of Shade".  Yom was not able to take her with him to the Land of Shade and Sivitri was able to convince him, through her love and devotion to Satyaban, to let Satyaban live.  Her love beat death and Satyaban came back to life. What a perfect story for the God of Devotion, Parvati, to assist in.  I knew I had to give this story a try.  I hope the format is well received but I might end up changing it before adding it to my storybook.  I hope everyone enjoyed the story as much as I did.

Bibliography:
Nine Ideal Indian Women, Maharanee Sunity Devee, Reading GuideBook
   

3 comments:

  1. This is just a cute story. I remember hearing about how Savitri and how she got her husband back from death. It was so interesting to read, you could clearly see the love between the two. It is sad how they only have one year to live together but it has the cute story of true love prevails all kind of thing. I am really looking forward to reading the rest of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "*Sivitri looks over at Satyaban and their souls dance between their romantic gaze*"

    What an adorable stage direction. I think the therapy session is a great way to retell this story, and changing Satyaban's mysterious fate to a diagnosis of cancer lends the tale a bit of extra relatability. It looks like you really enjoyed writing this, and it really shows in your characters, too. Thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job on re telling Sivitri and Satyaban's story. I was wondering myself why they would need marriage counseling, at first I thought maybe it was the whole arranged marriage thing. I was surprised to find out he had cancer.. page turner.
    You have done a good job keeping the flow of your stories going.Really, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete