Friday, October 14, 2016

Week 8 Reflections

Looking back, I am proud of all the stories I have created. I have always loved creative writing but I have not had the opportunity to write in such a way since high school so I have thoroughly enjoyed the layout of this class. It has allowed me to explore my two favorite subjects, Indian culture and creative writing. I look forward to the assignments for this class each week and I am nothing but proud of what I have accomplished thus far.

Reading

The reading notes have been helpful for me t organize my thoughts and jot down when an aspect of a story really hits me. I choose the stories to retell based on the feelings I get when I read the original. I don't choose the stories that would just be easy to retell. The reading notes assignment helps me remember the feelings I get when I sit down to write the story.

Writing

So far, my favorite story that I have written is Ekalavya Finding His Voice. It is my longest story and I think the most powerful. I love how I adapted the story to be ever more emotional and how I made subtle changes to make the setting in the present day. My other favorite story was that of Aswathama the Elephant.  I enjoyed giving this animal a voice.
(Aswathama the Elephant. Found on Pixabay.)

I chose to do a storybook for this class because after exploring the storybooks of other students in the past, I knew I would enjoy the creativity and cohesiveness of a storybook. I was right! Throughout the course I have been drawn to the classic love stories in the epics so being able to focus on those has been a blast. I’m currently playing around with the idea of using different styles in my storybook. With my storybook being a counseling service website, I’m trying to figure out if I want to do all of the stories in a "Dear Abby" letter style or have a mix of letters and maybe transcripts from counseling sessions.

Connection

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's stories! There are some amazing writers in this class, which makes it so much more enjoyable! The creativity and skill is outstanding and I look forward every week to everyone’s new take on old stories.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a "Dear Abby" letter a few stories ago, and I thought that was so much fun! I think that could be a really good option for your storybook! I'm also doing a storybook, and I'm kind of having a more difficult time with it than I thought I would. Can't wait to check out your storybook! :)

    ReplyDelete